- Interviews started
- Posted: 13 December 2022
- Closing date: 03 April 2023
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop scalable technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. A key part of this is designing, developing, and deploying cleanup systems to remove the legacy plastic floating in our oceans. As Project Engineer, you will develop scalable technology to capture, retain and extract plastic debris from the ocean - partly by enabling or innovating brilliant concepts and ideas, partly by actively participating in the execution of the project. You will be driving scopes from concept to delivery of components for assembly. You thrive in complex situations and take pride in realizing safe and successful projects.
“We are developing a solution to catch plastics in rough ocean conditions, using existing technologies and adapting them with innovative ideas to meet the purpose we require: catching plastics” - Manon Ait Amrouche, Senior Project Engineer
The Ocean Team is developing technology to capture, retain and extract plastic from the ocean. You will be responsible for one or multiple scopes from concepting phases until delivery for assembly. This will involve working with multi-disciplinary teams, collaborating with contractors, and managing suppliers.
Your responsibilities include:
- Using your engineering skills to develop creative concepts to develop/improve our technology to capture, retain and extract plastic
- Preparing, scheduling, coordinating, and monitoring assigned scopes from conception to execution
- Developing the scope of work and requirements for the components
- Monitoring progress and ensuring quality of the components produced
- Establishing test methods and methods for monitoring the quality of those tests
- Ensuring the project’s compliance with the applicable codes, practices, performance standards, and specifications
- Cooperating and communicating with other project participants and collaborating with discipline Engineers.
- Coordinating with contractors to ensure project deliverables meet their milestones on time, within budget, planning, and quality objectives
- Make use of reporting and planning structures and phases
- Report on areas for improvement, hurdles, or challenges, and propose remedial action where needed
- Master’s degree in mechanical, structural, maritime or offshore engineering is preferred
- Around 5 years of working experience in engineering and/or project execution roles
- Experience in guiding contractors during manufacturing processes, in a relevant technical sector
- Proven experience in planning, coordinating work scopes & thorough understanding of how to achieve high-quality products on time, within budget
- Fluent in English
- A structured approach to organizing, planning, and budgeting
- Pragmatic and a ”hands-on” mentality: gets things done
- Motivated and available to go on-site when required for example to witness testing, control production for various duration periods (from a week to a month)
- Takes ownership and hungry for results
- A keen eye for potential risks and dedicated to addressing them
- Driven, curious and solutions-oriented
- Strong communicator and good team player but also able to work independently
- You are intrinsically motivated to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Have a sense of humor (or tolerance for bad puns)
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.