- Interviews started
- Posted: 22 December 2022
- Closing date: 22 March 2023
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop and scale technologies to rid the oceans of plastic. To do so, we need to design, develop, and deploy offshore cleanup systems that extract plastic from our oceans. You will be responsible for concept development and related research within the R&D Team to build knowledge and deliver high-quality concept designs. We have a small R&D team, supported by our engineering team and 3rd parties. An essential part of this role will be to work closely with our Engineering Team to test and analyze concept ideas.
Quickly building an extensive knowledge base, you will succeed when you deliver innovative concept designs that push the boundaries of our technology.
"The Ocean Cleanup is a technology-driven project, aiming to clean the world's oceans from plastics by developing innovative technology. We are looking for a person who can build knowledge to improve our technology in a quick and clever way. Someone with a broad view on design and engineering, an interest in new ideas, and a good sense of humor will perfectly fit our team. Join our R&D group to generate those smart cleantech ideas and get the oceans clean as quickly as possible!" - Arjen Tjallema, Technology Manager
You will be responsible for knowledge-building and delivering high-quality concept designs for ocean cleaning systems. Other responsibilities include:
- Performing high-level calculations/simulations to understand basic principles of concept designs and to quickly assess ideas before handing them over to engineering
- Perform optimization studies to get to the best performing system design: bring a concept design from the early concept phase to maturity, meeting performance criteria and scale-up requirements
- Manage and/or execute the conception process from ideation to completion of basic engineering
- Ensuring tight and smooth cooperation between R&D and engineering groups
- Preparing and monitoring work scopes for testing and assessing concept designs and answering research questions. Work scopes include (hydrodynamic) analyses, lab tests, and field tests (in a broad sense)
- Keeping a record of developing knowledge within our project while defining knowledge gaps. Prioritizing and providing scopes to the engineering team or third parties to fill those knowledge gaps
- Feeding newly developed knowledge back into the concept development
- Master's degree in marine/offshore/dredging engineering (or comparable working experience in combination with another engineering master's degree)
- Between 3-5 years of relevant work experience in technology development and/or a research role within the maritime/offshore sector, preferably in an innovative environment
- Experienced with hydrodynamics and offshore/marine operations
- Ability to present and explain results of complex research to engineers and other stakeholders
- Ability to quickly build an understanding of complicated technical subjects where knowledge is limited (both internally and externally)
- A hands-on practical approach to innovation, keeping the product use in mind throughout the design process
- Capacity to pay attention to detail while keeping the broader picture in mind
- Fluent in English
- Able to quickly get to the essence of a technical challenge and investigate the most relevant/important aspects to help direct toward a solution
- Performs well in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Curious, creative, and determined to deliver
- Flexible team player
- Strong communication skills
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Have a sense of humor (or tolerance for bad puns)
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.